Monday, February 1, 2010

TIE 512 post #2 describe a complex problem - relate to theories

What should I do first? How should I do it? What resources can I enlist?

Last summer I was selected to be on a new Illinois reader's choice committee for the 2011 Bluestem award, which is geared toward grades 3-5. First, a list of 100 children's titles was divided up between 50 readers, of which I had to read and evaluate 10. This segment of the process occurred during the summer months. Then, the original list was narrowed down to 50 based on readers' evaluations.

In mid-October, I was then assigned to read these 50 books by January 29 so that I would be able to argue for or against keeping a book on a FINAL list of 20. We used criteria for determining appropriate selections for the final list, but it's not relevant for explaining the problem.

In order to read all 50 titles on the list, I first had to evaluate the list, which I printed out in a spreadsheet, alphabetically by author's last name. At this point I could have begun the task of acquiring and reading each title in the order that they appeared, but in an effort to be efficient, I decided to determine which selections I had already read, or those that were part of the initial 10 books read, and those I could acquire easily. I then highlighted the books I had already read or had available in my own library. I went to my school library, brought all of those books home and very slowly began the process of reading each selection.

I then went through the list from top to bottom and searched the Chicago Public Library database to find out which titles were available and where and made notes according to what I learned as I completed this step. If books were available at branches near where I lived or worked, then I noted which branch and what in section they were located in the library on my spreadsheet, and used this as a reference sheet and checklist as I went to these libraries to check out the books. If they were not available at locations close by, then I put them on hold and awaited their arrival at my local CPL branch. I also borrowed a few from classroom teachers at my school.

I made notes and color coded my spreadsheet as I located, acquired, read each book up until January 29. I highlighted school books in pink, books I read in yellow (number of each selected was highlighted), books from my original list in blue, CPL books in green, books I borrowed from colleagues in orange. This way I was able to track what I read and what still needed to be acquired and/or read as time progressed toward the deadline. Fortunately I did not have to evaluate this list as well or I would have added a section on my spreadsheet for comments and an overall score. I used this spreadsheet constantly to check on what selections still needed to be acquired and read.

This problem solving scenario reflects Howard Gardner's theory of multiple intelligence because a logical-mathematical learner would identify the task and its components before devising a plan, and a visual-spatial learner would create a visual representation of the task and create a colorful way to plan/chart progress.

Additionally, this reflects Bransford and Stein's IDEAL problem solving model in that initially the problem was identified ( read 50 books), alternative goals were defined ( read whatever I can get my hands on without devising a plan to ensure all are read), possible strategies were explored ( read books in order appear on list or any order, try to acquire one title at a time), anticipated and acted ( I figured it would be difficult and time-consuming to get some of the books I needed so I spent a great deal of time determining where each was located and read them as I was able to acquire them), looked and learned (once I completed the task I was prepared to discuss the titles at the meeting and argue for or against keeping them on the final list of 20 titles).

Furthermore, I believe the theory of Bloom's taxonomy reflects the problem solving that occurred as well because I toggled between creating, evaluating, analyzing, applying, understanding, and remembering to attain a solution.

sources:
  1. Bloom's Taxonomy of Cognitive Levels, by Mary Forehand, University of Georgia http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/index.php?title=Bloom%27s_Taxonomy
  2. The Art of Complex Problem Solving
    http://www.idiagram.com/CP/kindsofproblems.html
  3. Gestalt psychology
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gestalt_psychology
  4. VirtualSalt - problem solving techniques
    http://www.virtualsalt.com/crebook4.htm
  5. Multiple Intelligence
    http://www.thomasarmstrong.com/multiple_intelligences.htm
  6. Ideal Problem Solving Template
    http://www.mindomo.com/view.htm?m=3f55b1e740bdb815dd8fe92209be01ef


No comments:

Post a Comment