Monday, June 22, 2009

Is Blocking a site for their own good or is it Censorhip?

Can it be both?

What is the best way to keep students' learning environment safe and not infringe on their right to intellectual freedom?

We have an acceptable use policy (AUP) and consequences listed in our district's Uniform Discipline Code, but nothing specific at the school level. We have consistent problems with students accessing inappropriate content. I have taken away computer use privileges (which is what I inform the students and parents - that using the library and its resource is a PRIVILEGE that can be lost) from students who choose to do this. It does not, however, mean they lose access throughout the school. I would like to form a representative committee of my school community to include students, parents, staff as well as a CPL librarian to create an AUP that enforces and extends what the district has already laid out for us. This committee would also need to create a program for teaching students and parents about the dangers of Internet use and defining explicitly what acceptable use entails. Q & A is necessary for students and parents for these educational hot topics. Internet safety is not something that is addressed in my school. Hopefully I can change that this year. Again, the articles will really help me to put forth the message about how we have a duty and responsibility as educators to address this issue. I think I will be met with rigorous support.

While we have district filters, students are still able to type in a name in Google and get loads of images of women with large breasts, nice huh? We also have policies against MP3 players and cell phones, which are confiscated consistently and repeatedly. These are not working, so what's next?

I guess censorship, but is that right? Is there a happy medium? Protecting students and providing intellectual freedom per the first amendment....is it possible?

No comments:

Post a Comment